Things to look at

Wednesday 5 October 2011

30 day drawing challenge: Day 6

Yesterday I completed Day 6 of the challenge; Draw your favourite character from a book.

I am a fervent reader, I read a lot. Really, a lot. I don't really pick favourites, I recognise well written characters easily enough but that doesn't mean they become personal favourites of mine. I first thought about drawing a character from Harry Potter or A song of Ice and Fire, since I really admire the way they've been written, but I decided against it in the end. They're awesome books, with very well rounded characters but it didn't feel right somehow. Then I remembered my favourite book when I was a kid; Beyond the Deepwoods, from The Edge Chronicles.
If you like fantasy and beautifully drawn illustrations even a little bit, you should read this. It doesn't matter that it's a children's book, it's really fucking weirdass and awesome. Beyond the Deepwoods is just one of many installments of the series (I haven't even read all the books yet, but I will have the lot in my possesion one day) and it had a character in it that I really really loved. Remembering it makes my heart warm again, and it makes me a little sad too. It's the Banderbear (or de Gabberbeer as it was called in Dutch) I approached this a little differently, I copied one of the drawings in the book and while I was sketching it I thought it was becoming very lovely, so I put some extra effort in it. I initially just wanted to sketch it to familiarize myself with the creature and then make my own drawing, but I ended up putting a bit more time in this than I thought I would. So here it is, my favourite character from a book, the Banderbear.
He looks all big and intimidating, but he's a softie at heart really

2 comments:

  1. Excellent self protrait Hanny. :op

    It is an excellent drawing even though it looks like you have caught him doing something wrong. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steven, much appreciated! =D
    Ah the poor bugger has a sore tooth in this scene, so he's in a lot of pain....

    ReplyDelete